Equestrian Canada (EC) is going green for the 2017 competition season, replacing traditional EC Passports with a digital Horse Recording.
Following best practices used by other leading national federations, including the United States Equestrian Federation (USEF), on Dec. 19, 2016, EC will launch the new digital Horse Recording, and will no longer issue traditional EC Passport booklets.
What is a Horse Recording?
A Horse Recording is a digital identification document for horses competing at EC Silver, Gold and Platinum competitions. The purpose of a Horse Recording is to enable EC to create a database profile for horses competing at EC-sanctioned competitions. This allows EC to:
• Track the number of competitions, and classes per competition, that a horse is entered in to protect horse welfare.
• Record competition results to aid owners in the marketing and sale of horses, and to identify successful bloodlines.
• Assist in horse identification and safeguard against horse misrepresentation.
• Track eligibility status of all horses and ponies, and record official pony measurements, to ensure fair play.
• Accurately track horses throughout their lifetime, regardless of ownership and/or horse name changes.
Benefits of the new EC Horse Recording include:
• Eco-Friendly: Paperless format decreases environmental impact. Still prefer paper? EC can provide paper copies upon request for a small fee.
• Cost-Effective: Digital delivery eliminates shipping costs.
• Convenient: With the ability to store your Horse Recording on your smartphone (or other mobile device), you can take it anywhere, access it any time, and easily provide proof of purchase to competition organizers. Alternatively, you have the freedom to print your own hard copies at will.
• Zero Delay: Horse Recordings do not require validation from a veterinarian. Your receipt is sent by email upon purchase, making your Horse Recording valid for use at EC sanctioned Silver, Gold and Platinum competitions immediately.
• Loss-Proof: Never worry about losing your passport ever again. Accidentally delete your Horse Recording email? Simply log in to your online EC account to re-send or print immediately.
I Already Have an EC Passport. Do I Need a Horse Recording?
All existing EC Passports will be automatically replaced by Horse Recordings upon 2017 renewal.
• Existing EC Passport holders will be exempt from the cost of a new Horse Recording, and will only be required to pay the 2017 Activation Fee.
• The Activation Fee will apply annually and will replace the Horse Licence fee and sticker previously used for EC Passports.
Who Can Use a Horse Recording?
EC Horse Recordings can be purchased by any EC Sport Licence Holder for any horse, but are mandatory for all horses competing at EC Silver, Gold and Platinum competitions in 2017 in the following disciplines:
• Endurance (some exemptions apply)
What Do I Need to Know About Horse Recordings?
• Horse Recordings are available to all EC Sport Licence Holders, but are only required for horses competing in the disciplines of dressage, eventing, endurance (some exemptions apply), hunter/jumper, para-dressage and reining at EC sanctioned Silver, Gold and Platinum competitions.
• Horse Recordings are NOT required for horses competing in EC sanctioned Bronze competitions, or for horses competing in the breed sport, general performance, driving and vaulting disciplines.
• Existing EC Passport holders who do not have a digital photo of the horse(s) on file in the EC database will have 90 days from the time they activate a 2017 Horse Recording to submit a digital photo.
• Updates to the EC Rules regarding Horse Recordings will be available in early 2017.
How Do I Get a Horse Recording?
New applications and 2017 activations of Horse Recordings, as well as full information and FAQs, will be available on www.equestrian.ca as of Dec. 19, 2016. Purchase and renewal of 2017 EC Sport Licences will also open Dec. 19.
Questions regarding EC Horse Recordings can be directed to email@example.com or 1-866-282-8395.